Do you want quick and simple decorating ideas for your living room that won’t cost a fortune? Need to add some pizazz to your living room? Are your curtains screaming for an update? Use a few of these decorating ideas that won’t cost you your mortgage to add a new look to a tired decor.
1. A quick update for any room is to add pillows. It is easy to make a simple pillow. Using a coordinating fabric that matches your color scheme, cut four squares of equal size. A good finished pillow size is 14 inches by 14 inches. Be sure to add about a half -inch on each side for seaming. Stitch three sides, with fabric wrong sides together. Stuff with a pillow form or craft fiberfill. Stitch fourth side, turning under the half inch to form a finished side.
2. Decorate your walls with pictures. Gather together photos from your vacation, a favorite get together or family members and create a collage of different sizes. To coordinate, use the same color frames. They don’t have to be the same size, but should be the same color. Arrange in a pleasing manner on the floor before hanging. For impact, enlarge three favorite photos into 20X25 inches or larger, frame and hang together. Or use smaller photos, and frame in large frames with a large white or cream mat. Black and white photos work especially well. Use photos of your pet, child, significant other, friends, inanimate objects, landscapes or whatever tickles your fancy.
3. To add new life to your windows, create new swags or valances from inexpensive fabrics. Use old lace, wrap around a curtain rod letting it fall in graceful swags for a light airy look. Use bandannas or scarves, fold in half on the diagonal, tie the ends together and fasten to wall with self-stick Velcro or removable tape. Use napkins, drape over curtain rod on an angle, and overlap two coordinating styles for a unique look.
For quick sew curtains, use sheets, and attach tabs and buttons or ribbons to the top to attach over rod.
4. A great way to change the look of your living room is to slip cover your furniture. Use store bought ones for ease, make your own if you like to sew, or drape and tuck sheets over the seats and backs to make no-sew quick versions. These can be changed quickly and removed for cleaning easily.
5. Of course one of the least expensive ways to change the look of a room is to repaint your walls. Simply adding a fresh coat can change the look of a room. Or go for a more dramatic change with a new color. Choose a color that complements your home and taste or the style of décor of your home.
6. Creating a space that feels cozy and comfortable doesn’t have to cost a lot. Use what you have in new ways. Rearrange your furniture; use pieces in places other than what it was intended. For example, place a small chest of drawers in the foyer. This is a great place to store mittens and gloves, a place to put your belongings when you come in and to add interest to an often-overlooked space.